To celebrate the Great British Spring Clean, we’ve put together 20 ideas for recycling tiles. We want to encourage as many people as possible to have a go at upcycling unwanted tiles (or brand new tiles if something catches your eye). To give you some inspiration, we’ve shared some of our favourite DIY projects from our Pinterest ‘Ideas for recycling tiles’ board.
The humble tile. Creator of beautiful feature walls, glossy floors and dream patios. But what happens when the grout dries and you have leftovers and remnants? We recommend keeping a few spare tiles in case you need to replace them in the future, but any surplus can be recycled and remodelled into a fantastic ceramic household item, office accessory, or work of art.
Why are ceramic tiles great for craft?
- They are sturdy and have a smooth surface
- There is a variety of sizes and patterns available
- Sparkly mosaics, bright coloured metros, shabby chic wood effect tiles – the designs are limitless
How to tile your projects
Here are our top tips that will help you to create these recycled wonders.
- Try not to worry about perfection.
- If you’re using mosaics or broken tiles, or can get creative with your design, then you might not need a tile cutter.
- If you’re going to paint your tiles, clean them with acetone first.
- Making a planter? A coat of sealant is great for the inside to keep it watertight.
- Don’t forget to stick the tiles in place with adhesive.
- Tile spacers will help you get an even pattern.
- If you’re using grout, smear it on the tiles then wipe off the excess.
- Leave it to dry!
20 ideas for recycling tiles
Mosaic tile upcycled mirror
Mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the best upcycler of all? This is a super simple project that will produce a stunning and unique look.